Hello! Long time, no post! I have been away from the blog for some time. I couldn’t quite escape the feeling of exceeding vanity in assuming my random thoughts were adding any value to the world or that anyone would be or should be interested in the flotsam drifting around in my head. (One of the many reasons I am not on Facebook.) That being said, I do know that the 3 or 4 people who actually regularly read my posts are indeed interested in my goofy musings. So, for the sake of those people, mainly my aunt, I will try to resume posting here. I make no promises to post with anything close to the regularity with which I posted last year, though I will try to post more frequently than I have. So, look for my next post to happen in less than six months. 🙂 (Just a heads up, I will probably post tomorrow as I have a New Year’s recipe to share, but don’t get your hopes up beyond that! 🙂 )
Anyhoo…Now on to the important stuff! Seeing as it’s 34 minutes to midnight, I’d better get on it! Without further ado, my 2012 in review:
1. Was 2012 a good year for you? Why?
Yes, I would say 2012 was indeed a good year. It was a vast improvement on 2011 to say the least. Why was it a good year? Read on, intrepid blog-viewer!
2. What was your favorite moment of the year?
Hmm…I don’t really now. The first 10 months of the year seem shrouded in the mists of time…So, I would have to say, for the last 2 months anyway, going horseback riding for my birthday was my favorite moment. (Shout out to Dottie the Horse!)
3. What was your least favorite moment of the year?
Nothing really horrible happened, thank the Baby Jesus! So I guess, I would have to say my least favorite moment came when I realized that the box of birthday goodies sent from my mom that was accidentally delivered to the wrong address was going to be kept by the people at said address. (Shady bastards!)
4. Where were you when 2012 began?
I was hanging out with my niece and nephews at my brother’s house! Huzzah!
5. Who were you with?
6. Where will you be when 2012 ends?
I am at the apt with Handsomes and Sweet Girl sitting on the couch in my jams. I live the life of a rock star, no doubt! 😀
7. Who will you be with when 2012 ends?
8. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions of 2012?
Actually, for once I did. 🙂
9. Do you have (a) New Year’s Resolution(s) for 2013?
Keep all debit/credit cards at home and not in my wallet. Keep consumption of cokes to an average of 1 time per week. Still no Facebook. To borrow from Gretchen Rubin’s Happiness Project, ‘Act how I want to feel.’
10. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Nopes. Though I will say Handsomes becomes more handsome to me every day. 😉
11. If yes, with who?
12. If yes, do they know?
13. Are you still in love with them?
14. You regret it?
15. Did you break up with anyone in 2012?
16. Did you make any new friends in 2012?
Yeps! Mainly peeps at work, though I don’t know if I would say they’re true friends. Definitely good acquaintances. 🙂
17. Who are your favorite new friends?
18. What was your favorite month of 2012?
December, always! Also, May was good because I finally obtained gainful employment. And September was great because I went from working in Crazytown to working at a normal workplace.
19. Did you travel outside of your country of residence in 2012?
I did. I have taken a couple of day trips down to England. Woot!
20. How many different states / provinces did you travel to in 2012?
Well, I haven’t kept track of the different British counties I’ve been to, but I travelled to England and quite few places in Scotland.
21. Did you lose anybody close to you in 2012?
No, again with thanks to the Baby Jesus! However, it was our first ‘Most Wonderful Time of the Year’ without Andy! RIP!!!
22. Did you miss anybody in the past year?
Yeps. Missed my dad. Missed hanging out with my fam and friends back home. Missed my cat, Max Brown, RIP.
23. What was your favorite movie that you saw in 2012?
‘Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap’ is pretty great. Also, and I acknowledge how cliche this is, but ‘Magic Mike’ was the best man-fest I’ve seen since ‘300’! Huzzah to the infinity power! 😀
24. What was your favorite song from 2012?
The song I jammed out to the most had to be ‘The Longest Time’ by Billy Joel! Such a good song! Also, ‘I Can’t Wait’ by Nu Shooz and ‘Rolling Stone T-Shirt’ by Dada Life. Jams to the nth degree!
25. What was your favorite record from 2012?
Don’t really have a fave album – although Coope Boyes & Simpson’s Christmas album, ‘Voices at the Door’ is pretty fantastic!
26. How many concerts did you see in 2012?
27. Did you have a favorite concert in 2012?
28. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2012?
For the 12 months, I probably had about 20 beverages.
29. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2012?
30. How many people did you sleep with in 2012?
Hey! This is a family show, so I have to say that’s none of your dang beeswax!
31. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
YES. I didn’t handle myself as gracefully or as equably/equanimously as I should have during my time working in Crazytown. But to clarify, I am not ashamed of that, but I do regret it and know I could have dealt with things in a reactive way.
32. What was the worst lie someone told you in 2012?
‘I can’t name 3 things I like.’
33. Did you treat somebody badly in 2012?
Yes. As always, I am harshest on myself. Also, see answer to 31 above,
34. Did somebody treat you badly in 2012?
I don’t know if I have been treated badly, but I do feel I was sorely misjudged by the peeps at Crazytown, but by the same token, I probably sorely misjudged them.
35. How much money did you spend in 2012?
More than I should have probably, but I did ok overall.
36. What was your proudest moment of 2012?
The only thing that comes to mind is eating the lovely dinner I made for Christmas which turned out to be quite tasty, if I do say so myself.
37. What was your most embarrassing moment of 2012?
I will discuss this in a brief, future post. I will say I was more chagrined than embarrassed. I am doing better about taking myself with a large dose of humor. 🙂
38. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2012 and change something, what would it be?
I would have assessed the group dynamics at Crazytown and at my current job before I dove in to the fray.
39. What are your plans for 2013? Ready for this?
As always, the main plan is to be better. And yes, I am TOTES ready for this! WOOT, 2013!!!!
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yeps and yeps. More deets to follow.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A couple of people I used to know, but no one currently active in my life.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
I didn’t lack positivity in 2012, but I will definitely be working for more of it in 2013.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 7 – 11 – My birthday weekend extravaganza!!!!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Read 102 books!!! (A full listing to follow)
9. What was your biggest failure?
See above answer regarding working in Crazytown.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I’ve received much enjoyment from a pair of fuzzy socks I bought a few weeks ago. Bought a smaller wallet that I really, really like. Bought some nice jewelry.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My supervisor at my current workplace. My mom, as always! My friend, Mon, for letting my tag along on her trips around Scotland.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The peeps in Crazytown. Negative Nancy, one of my current co-workers. The aforementioned Shady Bastards who stole my b-day box o’ noms!
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My birthday weekend extravaganza!!!
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
The songs mentioned above as well as ‘Somebody That I Used To Know’ by Gotye / ‘Are You That Somebody That I Used To Know’ Gotye and Aaliyah mashup by Mad Mix Mustang.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? fatter
c) richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Wish I had had more employment. Wish I had more financial prudence – always a work in progress. 🙂 More shrug-it-off-ness. But I’m getting better! Wish I had kept my mantra for the year in mind more often – ‘Not my pig, not my farm.’
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being judgey. Confiding in people I don’t know that well.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
My Fellow American came over and we ate and watched Christmas movies!
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
22. How many one-night stands?
See above re: none of your beeswax.
23. What was your favourite TV program?
Anything on BBC iPlayer.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Coope Boyes and Simpson
27. What did you want and get?
Regular teaching work
28. What did you want and not get?
Employment as soon as I’d hoped. Challenging work.
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my actual birthday, I went out for drinks with some peeps from work. I am now 33 years of age!
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Employment sooner. Challenging work. A lottery win would have been nice as well. 🙂
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
What is the weather outside, how warm will it be inside of wherever I’m going?
33. What kept you sane?
Books, friends, my mom. 🙂
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jason Momoa. He’s SO lovely to behold!
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The presidential election. SO glad it’s over!
36. Who did you miss?
37. Who was the best new person you met?
My supervisor at my current job. She’s the best!
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Choosing your reaction instead of letting your first reaction come forth is probably one of the most valuable skills in dealing well with other people – and also one of the most challenging to master.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
From ‘No Rain’ by Blind Melon:
All I can say is that my life is pretty plain,
I like watchin’ the puddles gather rain.
And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
And speak my point of view but it’s not sane.
And I don’t understand why sleep all day
And I start to complain that there’s no rain.
And all I can do is read a book to stay awake,
And it rips my life away but it’s a great escape.
Escape, escape, escape.
Indeed! Well, the fireworks went off here a little while ago, so officially Happy New Year! I don’t seem to be able to get any of the formatting to work (which is why the fonts are all wonky), so instead of a video I will leave with the words written by one of the most famous Scotsmen, Robert ‘Rabbie’ Burns:
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.